More than 75% of renters in Maryland do not have rental insurance, meaning they have no protection against losses to their personal property. However, many landlords are beginning to require their tenants to carry renters insurance.
Here’s how to get the best rate on Maryland renters insurance.
Why You Need Renters Insurance
Required or not, renters insurance is a good idea to have. It provides you with several types of protection:
* It pays to replace your personal property when damaged by fire, lightning, windstorm, hail, smoke, vandalism, malicious mischief, theft, and other covered perils. This includes protection if your property is stolen or damaged someplace other than at our home: for example, if your bike is stolen from a library parking lot.
* It pays court-awarded damages if someone is injured while visiting you and sues you.
* It pays for repairs to your landlord’s property.
* It pays your living expenses when your rental is damaged and you have to live somewhere else during repairs.
Finding the Best Rate on Renters Insurance
Fortunately, renters insurance doesn’t cost a lot. In fact, the average cost for renter’s insurance in Maryland is $12 a month for $30,000 worth of property coverage and $100,000 worth of liability coverage. You may even pay less if you qualify for discounts such as …
* A multi-policy discount, if you have your auto and renters insurance with the same company
* A non-smoker’s discount
Keep in mind that insurance rates do vary, so to make sure you are getting a good rate it pays to do some comparison shopping. Thanks to the Internet, comparison shopping is easy. All you need to do is go to an insurance comparison website and complete a simple questionnaire. You’ll then receive quotes from multiple A-rated companies and you can choose the best one for you.
If you have any questions during this process, the best insurance comparison websites have insurance professionals on hand to answer those questions (see link below).
Visit http://www.LowerRateQuotes.com/renters-insurance.html or click on the following link to get Maryland renters insurance rate quotes from top-rated companies and see how much you can save. You can get more tips and advice in their Articles section.
The authors, Brian Stevens and Stacey Schifferdecker, have spent 30 years in the insurance and finance industries, and have written numerous articles on Maryland renters insurance.